Why Traveling to Algeria?
Embark on an extraordinary journey to Algeria, a hidden gem nestled in the captivating landscapes of North Africa. With its rich history, diverse cultures, and breathtaking natural wonders, Algeria offers a unique and immersive travel experience like no other. Delve into ancient ruins that bear witness to the grandeur of empires past. Whether you seek architectural marvels, cultural treasures, or awe-inspiring scenery, Algeria promises to ignite your senses and leave an indelible mark on your soul. Get ready to discover a land of ancient mysteries, warm hospitality, and untamed beauty in the heart of North Africa.
November 3rd – 10th, 2023
- Rich History: Explore ancient Roman ruins and medieval architecture.
- Cultural Diversity: Experience a vibrant blend of Arab, Berber, and Tuareg traditions.
- Architectural Marvels: Marvel at impressive churches, palaces, and basilicas.
- Scenic Landscapes: Discover lush mountains and breathtaking coastal cliffs.
- Warm Hospitality: Enjoy the renowned Algerian hospitality.
- Off-the-Beaten-Path Adventures: Explore hidden gems and offbeat destinations.
- Authentic Culinary Delights: Indulge in flavorful couscous, tagines, and pastries.
- Photographic Opportunities: Capture stunning Roman ruins at sunsets.
- Cultural Exchanges: Engage with locals, learn local dialect, and foster connections.
Algerian Archeologist talking about Tipasa Roman site.
Friday, November 3: Arrival in Algiers
Upon your arrival into Algiers, transfer to your hotel. Followed by an orientation tour of the colonial city, including a walking visit to the Casbah of Algiers. Dinner and overnight in Algiers. (D)
Saturday, November 4: Algiers – Tipasa – Oran
This morning check out of your hotel and drive from Algiers to Cherchell (archaeology museums) , where a Roman site was found in the heart of this city.
Sunday, November 5: Oran
From Tipasa. Continue to Oran (Algeria’s second city), a drive of approximately 5-6 hours time. Overnight in Oran. (B,L,D)
Monday, November 6: Oran and Constantine
Morning tour of Oran – with its Art Deco architecture and Mediterranean atmosphere.
This afternoon, check in for your flight to Constantine which was very multicultural, including a sizeable Jewish population that lived there until the Algerian revolution.
Overnight in Constantine. (B, L, D)
Tuesday, November 7: Constantine
Today’s touring of Constantine includes the Constantine Museum, the Casbah and the Palace of Ahmed Bey. Constantine is also known for its numerous suspension bridges that connect the various parts of the city.
Some forty-five minutes from Constantine is the Roman site of Tiddis, with its monumental gate and baptistery perched on hill. Return to Constantine for dinner and overnight in Constantine. (B,L,D)
Wednesday, November 8: Timgad (approx. 4-4.5 hr driving in total)
Private guide & driver to visit UNESCO World Heritage site of Timgad (huge library, colonnaded streets, temples, amphitheater, arch of Trajan, basilica) and perhaps the best example of the layout of a Roman city showing its streets and housing.
From Timgad, you drive to the Roman garrison town of Lambaesis with its amphitheatre and praetorian guard. Overnight in Constantine. (B,L,D)
Thursday, November 9: Constantine – Djemila – Algiers
This morning you check out of your Constantine hotel and drive some 5.5 hours to Djemila. The UNESCO World Heritage site of Djemila has an ancient garrison of Cuicul, a forum, temples, basilicas, triumphal arches, superb mosaic museum followed by Béni Fouda (on ancient border of Nuimidia and Mauritania).
Continue to Algiers for your final night and a “Farewell” dinner. Overnight in the Sofitel Algiers or Lamaraz Arts hotel Algiers (B,L,D)
Friday, November 10: End of Tour. Transfer to the airport, (B)
Algiers: Lamaraz Hotel Algiers
Lamaraz Hotel Algiers
Royal Hotel Oran
Constantine: Marriott Constantine
- Meals included as indicated by B, L, D. Any other references to meals are for logistical purposes only.
- Bottled water during included lunches and while touring.
- Itinerary as shown, including domestic air where noted
- Hotels as described or comparable properties
- English speaking guide and private vehicle with driver throughout itinerary, as noted.
- Any purchases of a personal nature, hotel expenditures such as laundry, mini-bar, business center related expenses and spa expenses. All expenses in addition to included room and breakfast
- Gratuities to guide and driver
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Algerian visa. Iconic Journeys Worldwide will provide the required letter of invitation from an authorized Algerian agency.
Cost for the entire itinerary: $5,895 per person. No Single Supplement.
Free airfare from Algiers to Tunis if you are continuing on to Tunis for our Roman Tunisia tour.